Sunday 22 July 2007

Monday 22nd July 1940

When my sister Shirl crept out to go off to work this morning, I lay in bed for an extra half-hour. While the birds chirruped away merrily in the tree outside our window, all I could feel was miserable. It seems so muddled that there can be a beautiful blue sky and thrushes singing their heads off while there's a war with Germany going on, ships been sunk and people shooting at each other.
There's no one left to talk to, now that Maggie's gone. Alison left first, back in the panic last September. Lots of the children from my class at school were evacuated then, to Bexhill in Sussex. Mum says she can't think why they think it's safer there. If the Germans invade, it's the first place they'll arrive. Then, in May, Betty's parents got all nervous and packed her off to her Aunt Sally's in Devon.
Maggie's my best friend. She'd always said her family would never send her away, until last Friday when she casually mentions she's off to Northampton till I don't know when. She might as well be going to the moon,as far as I am concerned. So here I am all on my own-i-o, and feeling really fed-up and lonely even if the sky is a wonderful clear blue.
That's why for the first timeever I've decided I'll keep a diary. I'm going to write down my real feelings about the awful, frightening war in this old excersice book. If I haven't got Mags, Alison or Betty to talk to at least I'll have some way of giving vent to my thoughts and feelings.

No comments: